These are our terms and conditions, if you have any questions get in touch with us at [email protected]
The Terms and Conditions detailed below apply to all entrants participating in The Distance. Completion of an entry form or purchase of an entry by every participant acknowledges acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by the participant.
1. Riders are required to attend a start line briefing and read briefing notes and sign to confirm that they agree to abide by the instructions given.
2. All riders must be self-supported. The event organisers and staff are not responsible for your preparedness while riding the course.
3. You should ensure that both yourself and your bike are in a serviceable state to complete a 100 km mixed road ride. A standard road bike is NOT suitable for this event.
4. Each participant, upon signing the registration form, agrees that they are physically and mentally capable of riding at least 70km in 8 hours. They also agree that they are able to navigate the route with aid of a GPS device and/or OS mapping. If, during the event, they decide to navigate away from the marked route, then all consequences of this action are their own.
5. If the situation arises that you are in an accident and are not capable of making the decision to call the emergency services, the rider agrees that a member of the organisation or a member of the public/other rider may call for them.
6. At any time pre, during, and post event, riders must conduct themselves in a manner that does not discredit themselves or the event organisers. Riders must be considerate to other users of bridleways, tracks, byways and public ways when riding on and off road.
7. Riders are expected to respect the countryside that the event travels through. It should be remembered that this is both a working landscape and home to many communities. Riders stopping for a comfort break are asked to do so discretely and appropriately and not to cause any offence to local residents or other riders.
8. There are lengthy sections of public road included within the course. You must obey all Highway Code rules.
9. Riders whilst participating in the event must do so wearing a helmet complying with latest EN1078, ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards. Any rider not conforming with this term will not be allowed to start or will be removed from the event if started.
10. Riders must carry the minimum required equipment for the full duration of the course. Spot checks may be used to ensure rider safety.
11. The organisers reserve the right to postpone or cancel the event should access to the event or sufficient portions of the course be deemed too dangerous due to severe adverse weather conditions.
12. The participant accepts that the event they are entering is not a race in any format.
13. The Event Registration Form must be completed by a person aged 18 years or over. This event is not open to riders under 16.
14. All riders are covered by third party insurance for the duration of the event (but does not cover any ‘virtual’ event promoted, but not managed on location by Focal Events). The cost of this is included in your entry fee. In addition, Focal Events are covered by public liability insurance.
15. Organisers cannot take responsibility for loss or damage of personal possessions during the event.
16. During the event there may be warning signs at appropriate points on the trails or roads used for this event. Absence of these signs does not signal there are no dangers approaching and it is the individual rider’s responsibility to make a decision regarding whether to ride a section or not. The marking of the route does not necessarily indicate that the trail or road is rideable and the participant is deemed to make their own decision about whether to proceed on bike, foot or not at all.
17. Riders are expected not to drop or leave any litter on any part of the route and to dispose of it responsibly at an appropriate place or bin. Any rider found littering will be disqualified from the event.
18. Riders will abide by rules displayed at the overnight camp – these may refer to cooking, fires and sanitation.
19. Each participant will be fully responsible for any fees or costs incurred or arising from an accident either involving or caused by the rider. This includes, but is not exclusive to, fees from Police, Air Ambulance, Fire and Rescue and the Ambulance service.
20. Each participant hereby grants to Focal Events an exclusive, absolute and irrevocable worldwide assignment in perpetuity in the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant obtained at the event and grants to Focal Events the right to use and publish such content in any and all media. The participant hereby releases Focal Events from any and all liability from such use and promotion. The participant hereby authorises the reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage and/or distribution of said photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation at the discretion of Focal Events. The participant specifically waives any right to any compensation they may have for appearing in any of the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant at a Focal Events event.
21. In the event that a participant fails to complete the course for any reason they agree to return to or call the event centre before the close of the event and report to a member of staff. Not doing so will mean that a search may be organised and the subsequent cost will be billed to the rider.
Entries to The Distance are non refundable. If the event sells out, riders may be eligible to transfer entries, up to 6 weeks before the date of the event, to someone on the event waiting list. Please contact us to arrange this. After this date we cannot process any refunds or change the rider database as personalised numbers, insurance etc will have been ordered and paid for. Transfer is subject to a £11.50 admin fee taken from any refund amount. Focal Events recommend that participants take out individual insurance to cover being unable to attend due to unforeseen personal circumstances.
22. Entries and refunds: available on emailed request as follows : • 60+ Days Out: 70% Refund • 30-59 Days Out: 50% Refund • 0-29 Days Out: No Refund Possible As always, we advise travel insurance is taken out to cover not being able to attend due to unforeseen circumstances.
Entries are non transferable.
Email [email protected] for all entry or refund requests.